The Tesla app isn’t just for charging schedules and climate control anymore. It’s also your window into your car’s surroundings, thanks to the built-in camera view feature. Whether you’re checking for a rogue parking dent or keeping an eye on your car in a crowded lot, viewing your Tesla’s cameras through the app can be a valuable tool.
But how do you actually access this nifty feature? Buckle up, because we’re about to take you on a guided tour:
1. Sentry Mode: Your All-Seeing Eye
The primary function of camera viewing in the Tesla app is tied to Sentry Mode. This security feature monitors your car’s surroundings when parked and records footage if it detects any suspicious activity. To access the live camera feed in Sentry Mode:
- Enable Sentry Mode in your car: Navigate to
Controls > Safety > Sentry Modeon your Tesla’s touchscreen.
- Open the Tesla app: Make sure your phone is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your car or is linked via Bluetooth.
- Tap “Security” on the app’s main screen.
- Select “Sentry Mode.”
- Tap “View live camera.”
Voila! You’ll be greeted with a real-time view from your Tesla’s front and rear cameras, giving you a 180-degree view of what’s happening around your car.
2. Bonus Feature: Honk and Talk
While you’re in the live camera view, you can also:
- Honk the horn remotely: Tap the car horn icon on the screen to give any unwanted visitors a friendly (or not-so-friendly) reminder of your car’s presence.
- Talk through the car’s speaker: Tap the microphone icon and speak. Your voice will be played through the car’s speaker, potentially startling any loiterers.
3. Beyond Sentry Mode: A Peek Inside (Model S and X only)
If you own a Model S or X, you’re in for an extra treat. You can also access the interior camera through the app, allowing you to:
- Check if you left anything behind: Did you forget your sunglasses or that important document? A quick peek through the app can save you a trip back.
- Keep an eye on furry passengers: Are your pets comfortable and safe while you’re away? The interior camera lets you check in on them and ensure they’re not having any meltdowns.
- Viewing cameras drains your car’s battery, so use it wisely.
- Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi connection for optimal streaming quality.
- Respect the privacy of others when using the camera features.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be a master of the Tesla app’s camera view in no time. So go forth, keep an eye on your car, and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing you can always check in remotely, no matter where your Tesla adventures take you.